Log in


American bedding.

Quick question: what are the American words for all the types of bedding? I actually know/understand none of them.


( 16 people helped — Oooh! I know! )
Jan. 7th, 2009 09:34 pm (UTC)
Bedding as in what you put on the bed? Like sheets, comforter, duvet?
Jan. 7th, 2009 09:35 pm (UTC)
I am assuming that is what she means. I am British and I have no idea what a comforter is?
Jan. 7th, 2009 09:41 pm (UTC)
A comforter is the thicker blanket that goes over the sheets, sometimes called a duvet (if it has a slipcover over it). Dictionary definition: A quilted bedcover.
Jan. 7th, 2009 09:36 pm (UTC)
Yeah, exactly. I mean, I know what that means to me (except comforter which is completely not used here) but when I've read fics the words are often used in a completely different context to what I'm used to. So I don't actually know what they refer to, if you know what I mean.
Jan. 7th, 2009 09:40 pm (UTC)
Oh, okay! I honestly didn't know there were different words. A comforter/duvet is the thicker blanket you put over the sheets. It's usually called a comforter, though a duvet usually has a (duvet) cover over it (which is the only difference that anyone really knows about). So, like, if it has a slipcover, it's a duvet, otherwise they're just called comforters.

Does that make sense? What do you call that blanket?
Jan. 7th, 2009 09:45 pm (UTC)
I don't think we have them at all, at least not that I've ever seen/used. On my bed I have a sheet which I sleep on top of (although in fic I've seen people sleeping under sheets), a duvet which is like a thick stuffed blanket (and I'm guessing the same as the duvet you're talking about) which has a cover on it, and then blankets which are fairly thin.

But thank you.
Jan. 7th, 2009 09:48 pm (UTC)
Typically, a bed (like even one at a hotel) will have a fitted sheet (which fits around the mattress and you sleep atop it), and a second sheet you sleep underneath (usually tucked in at the end of the bed), and a comforter or duvet over that. If it's cold, sometimes blankets will be layered between the loose sheet and the comforter (or over the comforter).
Jan. 7th, 2009 09:54 pm (UTC)
Oh awesome! Thank you. I feel a little stupid being so confused by bedding of all things, but yes, thank you. That makes so much more sense now.
Jan. 7th, 2009 10:14 pm (UTC)
Yeah, no problem; sorry I didn't understand what you were asking at first. Any other questions?
Jan. 7th, 2009 10:46 pm (UTC)
That's alright. I could have maybe made myself a little clearer in the question. I think I'm good now, at least I understand enough to write the fic without looking like a moron, but thank you. :)
Jan. 7th, 2009 09:55 pm (UTC)
Sheets: http://www.carnivalcomfortcollection.com/images/products/sheets001_lrg.jpg, including a fitted sheet that goes on the bottom, a regular sheet that goes on top of it, and pillow cases.

Duvet/comforter: http://www.towelsandbedding.co.uk/images/cloudsoft_duvet_L.jpg
I've heard those words used interchangeably, and I have no idea if it's because of what part of the country someone lives in, but they're close enough that no one would bat an eye hearing one instead of the other.
Jan. 7th, 2009 10:09 pm (UTC)
Oh thank you! The pictures were really helpful
Jan. 8th, 2009 12:24 am (UTC)
I agree with everything above but I would note that some people (myself included) have a light, summer-weight, decorative bed cover atop the sheets and blankets. In winter, naturally, this is covered by the comforter, though still present. The information below may not be useful to you, but just in case!

The above is called a "body pillow," for obvious reasons. It's used by those who love cuddling, even with pillows, and people who have back trouble and sleep on their sides. If I remember correctly, when placed between the knees, it helps straighten the spine.

The speakers in the arms and carrying loop on the top of this pillow are non-standard, but the "boyfriend pillow" is a staple of kids rooms. Despite being out of college, I still have and love mine. They're also referred to as "reading" or "husband" pillows, but I've most commonly heard them called "boyfriend" pillows.
Jan. 8th, 2009 12:44 am (UTC)
Oh thanks! I had never heard of either of those, so thank you for that.
Jan. 9th, 2009 04:04 pm (UTC)
LOL! This doesn't help at all, but I thought you meant, like, different terms for having sex!! My mind must be in the gutter.
Jan. 9th, 2009 06:40 pm (UTC)
haha, sorry. I should have probably made myself a little clearer...
( 16 people helped — Oooh! I know! )


Culture Clash - international writers' reference

Tips for using this comm:

- be clear what you are asking;
- do not use chatspeak;
- check the memories and tags before asking - we may already have an answer;
- be courteous or people might not help you again;
- the mods will tag your posts, don't worry about those;
- try to stay on topic;
- please contact the mods before advertising.

Affiliates & Comms We Like

Latest Month

January 2009
Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Tiffany Chow